Passion/expertise: Michael is a Professor at Texas Tech University who is passionate about helping individuals make better investment decisions.
Experience: PhD in finance from the University of Missouri and PhD in consumer science from the Ohio State University. Assistant/associate professor at University of Missouri from 1999 through 2006, associate professor at Texas Tech 2006-present.
- Behavioral personal finance
- Retirement income planning
- Risk tolerance assessment
- Aggregate trends in household portfolio allocation.
- 2011 Academic Thought Leadership Award, Retirement Management Journal
- 2010 Winner, iOMe National Retirement Challenge, Faculty Advisor
- 2010 Best Paper Award, Academy of Financial Services
- 2009 Best Paper Award, Academy of Financial Services
- 2008 Best Paper Award, Academy of Financial Services
- 2008 Texas Tech Human Sciences distinguished research award
- 2007 Teacher of the Year Award, Texas Tech Personal Financial Planning Association
- 2006 Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education outstanding journal article award
- 2005 ACCI Certified Financial Planner® board financial planning research award
- 2004 distinguished award in teaching from Gamma Sigma Delta.
- Guillemette, M.A., Finke, M.S. and Gilliam, J. 2012. Risk tolerance questions to best determine client portfolio allocation preferences, Journal of Financial Planning.
- Loving, A.C., Finke, M.S. and Salter, J.R. 2012. Does home equity explain the black wealth gap? Journal of Housing and the Built Environment.
- Finke, M.S., Pfau, W. and Williams, D. 2012. Spending flexibility and safe withdrawal rates, Journal of Financial Planning.
- Hanna, S., Guillemette, M. and Finke, M.S. 2012. Assessing risk tolerance. In H. Kent Baker and Greg Filbeck (Eds.) Portfolio Theory and Management, Oxford University Press.
- Williams, D. and Finke, M.S. 2011. Determining optimal withdrawal rates: An economic approach, Retirement Management Journal.
- Winchester, D., Huston, S.J. and Finke, M.S. 2011. Investor Prudence and the Role of Financial Advice, Journal of Financial Services Professionals.
- Finke, M.S., Huston, S.J. and Winchester, D. 2011. Financial advice: Who pays? Financial Counseling and Planning.